Anaphylaxis Awareness in EICS
Anaphylaxis is a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Food allergies are the most common cause, but insect stings, medication, latex and exercise (typically after eating a specific food) can also cause a reaction. It is vital that our schools are trained to respond appropriately and quickly to deal with these situations.
Signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis can include:
- Tingling, numbness, pain in the lips and tongue
- Itchy eyes, nose, and face
- Flushing of the face and body
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue and throat
- Difficulty swallowing, wheezing, coughing, difficulty talking and breathing
- Hives, abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
- Weakness and dizziness, drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness, death.
EICS has an extensive set of procedures and resources for staff/students/families in dealing with anaphylaxis in our school settings.